Sunday, May 01, 2005

Holga Dreams VIII

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lately I've been getting tired of seeing and making "beautiful pictures". I know this may come accross the wrong way, but reality is flawed and not always beautiful. My friend Julie asked me the other day if what I mean by this is just simply a speck of jealosy of all those awesome shots other people are taking. Indeed, it may seem that way, but my desire to make photograhs as beautiful as the reality they depict (or not) led me to try this more primitive, rudimentary picture taking you see here. The Holga and all this plastic camera sub-culture is making me reconsider what is beautiful in my pictures and what I want my shots to mean beside technically beautiful art ...

5 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

I think your most recent pictures are the best you've ever posted. It's alomst like you can see the honesty of the process.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

mitch, you take awesome pictures...but you can also be a jerk sometimes... ;-)

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an ethereal quality to these holga images, fracturing light as through a flawless crystaline filter. What makes you think that using a low-quality plastic camera will capture the flaws upon which your eye snags? Do you really think that these images are seeing the flaws of reality and escaping the idealization of your dreams made of light? My question is: when is beauty not idealized, or, is it possible for dreams to have flaws?

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sympathies. Or should I say, I sympathize?
It's clear you too are a plastic addict.
Sorry. There's no turning back now. ;)
Susan B.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Mircea (Mitch) said...

Dreams are flawed for they are not real, but an idealized version of reality, no?

Susan, thanks for the lovely comments. Indeed, I did fall in love with plastic...and especially the images they make. Thanks again for the inspiration.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home